Exchanging a Foreign Driving Licence in Monaco
Information on how to exchange your foreign driver's licence for a Monegasque licence. Information applies to European Union citizens (UK, EU etc) as well as people with American, Australian, Canadian or South African driving licences...
Anyone driving a motor vehicle on the roads in Monaco must be 18 years or older and have a valid driving licence (permis de conduire) for a category of vehicle which corresponds to the vehicle they are driving.
Any person resident in Monaco and holding a valid foreign driving licence must exchange it for a Monegasque driving licence within a year of acquiring Monaco residency. The Service des Titres de Circulation issues licences.
If the licence does not qualify for exchange, the driver will need to take a full Monaco theory and practical driving exam in order to be issued with a Monaco licence.
Qualifying for Licence Exchange
To exchange a foreign driving licence the following must apply:
- The licence is issued by a state which:
- has ratified the Vienna Convention on Road Traffic (Click here for a list)
- is a member state of the European Union (EU) or of the European Economic Area (EEA), or
- has signed a reciprocal agreement with Monaco
- The licence is valid
- The licence was issued following a practical test
- The licence is in French or, if not, is accompanied by an official translation into French
If a practical test was not part of the original test to obtain a licence, the driver will need to pass a practical driving test before being allowed to exchange the licence.
Exchanging a driving licence
A foreign driving licence is exchanged for a Monegasque licence at the Service des Titres de Circulation.
- Service des Titres de Circulation
At: 23 Avenue Albert II, B.P. 699, MC 98014 Monaco CEDEX
Tel: (+377) 93 15 80 14
Fax: (+377) 93 15 40 36
Open: 09:30-17:00 Monday to Friday
The following documents are required:
- Completed Request for a National or International Driving Licence form (Demandes de permis de conduire - Form STC/010)
- To download the form STC/010, which can be filled in online and printed: Click here (in French)
- The original valid foreign driving licence
- A statement of licence points. If this is not available, a statement from the issuing authority confirming that the licence is not suspended is acceptable. Neither document should be more than three months old
- A copy of the Monaco Carte de Séjour
- A recent colour passport-sized photograph (33mm by 43mm)
For those over 70 years of age, a recent medical report (no more than three months old) issued by a Monegasque doctor on the official list (request names from the Service des Titres de Circulation)
To download the medical form "Certificat médical permis B (STC017)": Click here
On exchange, the Monaco licence will be valid for the same vehicle categories as the original licence.
- Further information on the Service des Titres de Circulation and forms: Click here (in French)
The International Drivers Licence (IDL) or Permit (IDP)
Some countries request that a visitor carry an International Drivers Licence (IDL) also called an International Drivers Permit (IDP) (Permis international) along with their valid national licence. Holders of a Monaco driving licence can apply for an International Driving Licence at the Service des Titres de Circulation.
- To download the application form: Click here (PDF in English)
Note: An international licence does not replace a driver's licence - it accompanies it and acts as an official certificate of validity of the national licence. It is an internationally recognised document.
- For full information on exchanging a vehicle licence in French: Click here