Exchanging a Foreign Driving Licence in Monaco
Information on how to exchange your foreign driver's licence for a Monegasque licence. Information applies to European Union citizens (UK, EU etc) as well as people with American, Australian, Canadian or South African driving licences...
Anyone driving a motor vehicle on the roads in Monaco must be 18 years or older and have a valid driving licence (permis de conduire) for a category of vehicle which corresponds to the vehicle they are driving.
Any person resident in Monaco and holding a valid foreign driving licence must exchange it for a Monegasque driving licence within a year of acquiring Monaco residency. The Service des Titres de Circulation issues licences.
If the licence does not qualify for exchange, the driver will need to take a full Monaco theory and practical driving exam in order to be issued with a Monaco licence.
Qualifying for Licence Exchange
To exchange a foreign driving licence the following must apply:
- The licence is issued by a state which:
- has ratified the Vienna Convention on Road Traffic (Click here for a list)
- is a member state of the European Union (EU) or of the European Economic Area (EEA), or
- has signed a reciprocal agreement with Monaco
- The licence is valid
- The licence was issued following a practical test
- The licence is in French or, if not, is accompanied by an official translation into French
If a practical test was not part of the original test to obtain a licence, the driver will need to pass a practical driving test before being allowed to exchange the licence.
Exchanging a driving licence
A foreign driving licence is exchanged for a Monegasque licence at the Service des Titres de Circulation.
- Service des Titres de Circulation
At: 23 Avenue Albert II, B.P. 699, MC 98014 Monaco CEDEX
Tel: (+377) 93 15 80 14
Fax: (+377) 93 15 40 36
Open: 09:30-17:00 Monday to Friday
The following documents are required:
- Completed Request for a National or International Driving Licence form (Demandes de permis de conduire - Form STC/010)
- To download the form STC/010, which can be filled in online and printed: Click here (in French)
- The original valid foreign driving licence
- A statement of licence points. If this is not available, a statement from the issuing authority confirming that the licence is not suspended is acceptable. Neither document should be more than three months old
- A copy of the Monaco Carte de Séjour
- A recent colour passport-sized photograph (33mm by 43mm)
For those over 70 years of age, a recent medical report (no more than three months old) issued by a Monegasque doctor on the official list (request names from the Service des Titres de Circulation)
To download the medical form "Certificat médical permis B (STC017)": Click here
On exchange, the Monaco licence will be valid for the same vehicle categories as the original licence.
- Further information on the Service des Titres de Circulation and forms: Click here (in French)
The International Drivers Licence (IDL) or Permit (IDP)
Some countries request that a visitor carry an International Drivers Licence (IDL) also called an International Drivers Permit (IDP) (Permis international) along with their valid national licence. Holders of a Monaco driving licence can apply for an International Driving Licence at the Service des Titres de Circulation.
- To download the application form: Click here (PDF in English)
Note: An international licence does not replace a driver's licence - it accompanies it and acts as an official certificate of validity of the national licence. It is an internationally recognised document.
- For full information on exchanging a vehicle licence in French: Click here
A team of expert landscape artists, gardeners and masons, we create dream terraces and gardens... Read more...
Removals and storage in the South of France. Professional service with over 30 years experience.... Read more...
Become a Member
Discussed on 18/04/2014 at 04:57
Discussed on 17/04/2014 at 22:23
New topic on 17/04/2014 at 21:52